Gripped by the barn-raising scenes of destruction, you find yourself wanting
to deconstruct the terror. Throw out those tired post-structuralist
tools and get down and dirty with a good old fashioned, rationalist
Funnel clouds are vortexes and as cats that perch on the edge of toilet seats know, vortexes can be mesmerizing. So here's how to build a contraption to study the shape of a tornado, the natural phenomenon that lifts and separates.
2. Make sure both bottle mouths are dry. Place the washer over the mouth of the designated water bottle.
3. Place empty bottle, upside down on top of the washer.
4. Secure the bottles together with tape.
5. Ask adult helper to defrost your refrigerator.
6. Turn the contraption upside down so that gravity can do its thing with the water.
7. Quick! While holding the bottom of the top bottle with one hand and holding the bottom bottle firmly, move the top of the upper bottle in a small but rapid counter-clockwise circle.
8. Stand the bottles upright, with the empty bottle remaining on the bottom.
illustrations by Georgia.